Thursday, May 19, 2011

Book 2: Water for Elephants

Our book club's plan was to follow along with the Millennium trilogy (and we still plan to), but we felt The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was a bit dark and disturbing.

So for a light-hearted, summer read, we chose to put the other two books on the back burner and read our fourth reading selection - Water for Elephants. We thought it would be good to time reading the book with the movie release (because the previews to the movie look great!). And I always prefer to read the book before watching the movie.

I am about a third of the way through the book and it is an easy read with vivid descriptions. I'm sure, if I tried, I could have it read over one week or over two weekends.

The last book, I finished the month we all decided to meet, but unfortunately, only two of us actually finished to meet that first deadline. So we pushed back the date, and gave each other another two months to finish.

When we finally met, I needed some reminding (even though I took notes) as to what happened. I swore I was going to wait longer to start the next book, so it would be fresh in my mind. But I didn't want to wait as the movie trailers kept playing on TV. I have no self-control (I ate two bowls of ice cream yesterday - shh, don't tell Nikkie.)

I am, however, confident in our group this time around (and also, since the book is a quick read), that we will actually hit our selected meeting date.

I'm excited. This book lends itself well to adding fun activities to do with your book club. All of which, I want to do: Go to the circus, Watch the movie, Visit a zoo, Eat fair foods (cracker jacks, candied apples, fresh squeezed lemonade, roasted peanuts, etc.).

I haven't been to a circus in years! This book makes me want to. Also, the author did great researching behind-the-scenes, depression-era circus history. And as Sara Gruen is a woman, I am also intrigued she is writing from the perspective of an old man.

Around 100 pages in to Water for Elephants: Recommended.

2 comments:

  1. i should probssss get the book, eh?? oops...

    ReplyDelete
  2. eeek!! i love it so far! but i'm only on page 60 maybe? i was hooked by page 2! but i def want to do all those things you mentioned!! can we PLEEEAASSSEEE?!?! and also . . i find it odd that the 92 old man can speak/write such good english at his age! ;-)

    ReplyDelete