Thursday, March 1, 2012

Jennifer Lawrence in Glamour

The April 2012 Glamour Magazine features Jennifer Lawrence for her role as Katniss in The Hunger Games movie.

Jennifer Lawrence beat half of young Hollywood for the role. Abigail Breslin, Emma Roberts and Hailee Steinfeld were contenders for the part of Katniss Everdeen, which went to Lawrence. Some fans of the books were angry—Katniss is a brunette; Lawrence is blond. But director Gary Ross laughed them off. “We can easily deal with Jennifer’s hair color,” he said.


Katniss’s archery skills are real. Twenty-one-year-old Lawrence trained with Olympic archer Khatuna Lorig. “She shot about 100 arrows a day on an Olympic-style bow,” says Lorig. “Her technique was great!”

The movie used 35 full-time makeup artists. And there were more than 450 wigs on set to create the Hunger Games look, according to Linda Flowers, the movie’s hair director. For her freaky look as Effie Trinket, above, Elizabeth Banks was airbrushed with pale pink foundation and had a different eye makeup design for each outfit. Katniss was lower-maintenance—it took only about 20 minutes a day to create her signature braid.

GLAMOUR: What were your first thoughts about The Hunger Games being turned into a movie…
JENNIFER LAWRENCE: When I heard they were making the movie, I was like, ‘oh, that’s nice—they’re going to ruin another great book.’ But then I met Gary [Ross, the director], and he was unbelievable and brilliant and genius.

GLAMOUR: But you thought about all of this before you took the job, right?
JENNIFER LAWRENCE: I gave myself three days. I knew from reading the books that I loved The Hunger Games. I just didn’t know if it was worth changing my life for. I’m at a peaceful place right now. The people who used to ignore me at parties, now they’re nice to me and kissing my ass. But nobody’s staked outside of my house. I wanted to make sure that when I said yes, I wouldn’t regret it. And I don’t regret it. I would have said no because I was scared, and then I would have been that bitter actress telling my grandkids, “I’m the one that turned it down.”

GLAMOUR: What did you do to get in shape?
JENNIFER LAWRENCE: I hate saying, ‘I like exercising.’ I want to punch people who say that in the face. But it’s nice being in shape for a movie, because they basically do it all for you. It’s like, ‘Here’s your trainer. This is what you can eat.’
I don’t diet. I do exercise! But I don’t diet. You can’t work when you’re hungry, you know?

GLAMOUR: Have you adjusted to being a famous actress?
JENNIFER LAWRENCE: Just recently I started letting myself eat things from the minibar. When we were kids, we would never open the minibar. A $6 Snickers bar? But the other day I was in a hotel and I was staring at a Snickers bar, and I finally just ate it. Then it was like something in me snapped. I opened all these drinks. I thought: I can do it now. Now I’m all grown-up. I can eat things from the minibar.

GLAMOUR: How do you feel about being in the public eye?
JENNIFER LAWRENCE: In some ways, it’s a hard life, but it’s a great professional life. I’m doing what I love, and then I get months and months of rest. I have a lot of money for a 21-year-old. I can’t stand it when actors complain.

To read our full interview with Jennifer Lawrence, pick up a copy of Glamour’s April issue, on newsstands March 6, 2012. Or read some more of the interview online.

No comments:

Post a Comment