Thursday, June 7, 2012

Eat, Pray (i can keep reading), Love (to put it down)

Last summer I borrowed Eat, Pray, Love from Kt's mom... It's still in my possession. Last year, I read eight chapters (and the chapters are short), maybe I read around 20 pages total.

This summer I made it a bit farther into the book, but I am still struggling.

I'm still only in the Eat section (in Italy, which is where I desperately want to travel to). Recently in the book, the author was eating the world's best pizza, with a lovely description on her experience in Naples. You would think that this would be a (mouth-watering) page turner.

And if that wasn't enough, she is also working on her Italian with twin, twenty-something, hotties (also mouth-watering).

But I just can't seem to get into this book.

The auther is dealing with divorce and separation from her second love affair, learning about herself, taking antidepressants, having internal conversations with Depression and Loneliness, finding her individual voice after never being single, and writing (and responding to herself) in her journal.

I don't know why I can't seem to sink my teeth in to the book, but I have a few ideas... I'm only twenty-something, not thirty-something. I am single and don't need to find my individuality. I've never been married, and don't understand the heartbreaking devastation of divorce. I don't travel to faraway places and write about it.

What it comes down to, I think, is I just can't relate. So far, her life is depressing, so I don't even want to imagine her situation.

Maybe the book gets better, but right now it's not inspirational. It's just annoying.

Thoughts? Have you read the book? Should I trudge on or just forget it? Do you think Kt's mom knows I've borrowed the book for a year?

No comments:

Post a Comment